PowerMEMS in Action is a featured session in PowerMEMS 2021 for virtual demonstration of micro-power supply, energy harvesting systems, self-powered sensing case studies and proof-of-concept prototypes. Over the past decade, power MEMS technologies have grown in maturity, performance, and relevance. This is coupled with expanding interests in various applications, such as the Internet of Things. The PowerMEMS in Action session provides an opportunity for researchers to showcase their technologies at the conference.
Objectives of PowerMEMS in Action session
Submissions are welcome in three categories
- Showcase operation to validate the technology and encourage adoption
- Demonstrate and promote the development of know-how and implementation
- Allow the demonstration of new concepts and technologies
- Assess the level of maturity, and promote discussion on limitations and challenges
- Promote innovation, with more complete devices to meet application needs
- Applications and case studies: demonstration of wireless sensors or other applications that are driven by miniature power sources or energy harvesting devices. The benefits and appropriateness of having such as power sources should be well discussed.
- Device or system prototypes: Power MEMS devices, materials, circuits, and systems. The performance-based metrics and complete operation here is important to evaluate the submission. The novelty or maturity of the solution should be well articulated.
- Novel concepts, approaches or methods: new mechanisms, contraptions, principles, or methods that deserve to be promoted to better understand and appreciate them. Although the level of maturity or completeness is not dominant, the evaluation will consider novelty and potential impact in the field.
Proposed demonstrations are submitted following the same format as the regular conference papers. A video recording for demonstration will be required once the submission is accepted. Please indicate in the category that your paper is intended for the 'PowerMEMS in Action' session with the appropriate classification number and specify the appropriate category (Applications / Prototypes / Concepts).
The submission should clearly describe the principles of operation and the implementation or potential implementation. For device or system prototypes, the submission should provide the measured key performance metrics depending on the type of device (e.g., not simply power, but normalised by mass and acceleration, for a vibration energy harvester, or by temperature difference and area for thermal energy harvesters).
Presentation format of PowerMEMS-in-Action category
Evaluation and Awards
- An oral presentation session will be designated for selected PowerMEMS-in-Action presenters.
- All PowerMEMS-in-Action presenters are required to submit a short video by 19 November 2021. They will be available on Gather for participants to view throughout the conference.
- During the PowerMEMS in Action session, the participants will have the opportunity to talk to the presenters virtually on Gather.
PowerMEMS in Action demonstrators will be evaluated by a panel and the best PowerMEMS in Action demonstrator prizes will be awarded.